Saturday, May 26, 2012

Home

We are a family of FIVE!!!!

We made it!  Barely...immigration was long, customs and security were longer and our departure from Chicago was soon after our arrival.  We were those people running through the airport, glaring down the security searchers, who picked such and inopportune time after 7 flights through America and China, to decide to randomly search the sketchy, suspicious looking blond women carrying an obviously adopted baby.   We made it to our gate and walked right on to the plane.

We were both greeted by our smiling, laughing, crying, picture taking, video recording families at the airport. It was wonderful and overwhelming. Matt got to look at his littlest girl for the first time in person.  My little boy, Maclean, so sweetly patted Phoebe's head and announced, "This is my baby sister, Phoebe". Cassidy cried with joy the whole way home. My mom and dad cried and hugged me, both with joy and pain, as we were together finally after losing my grandmother and have a difficult week ahead as we prepare to put her to rest.

Phoebe won't let anyone look at her without crying.  She did this with me and Micki for a couple hours after we met her and were alone with her.  She will get used to the crazy life of a silly dad, a teenaged sister who is over the moon with her, a loud and energetic 2 year old brother who is beyond excited, a huge cat rubbing against her and a tiny chihuahua hopping around.


I cried on the way home, as Mother had asked me over and over again to promise her that I would come straight to her home after getting off the plane so that she could meet Phoebe no matter how late.  It hurt so much to not be headed in that direction.

Micki went off to see her mom for a late dinner at Fricano's and then on to do what we were doing at our house.  OPENING GIFTS!!  My parents came over to spend time with all of us.  My whole life for the past 2 weeks is scattered all over my living room as we tore through my suitcases finding all the treasures I returned with.

Phoebe went to bed like a champ and Macky shortly after with me.  Nothing has ever been as settling as sleeping with my oldest child in the room next door, my new baby in the crib next to the bed my 2 year old and myself were snuggled together in.  My 3 are all finally with me.

Jet lag hit a few hours later, regardless of the fact that I had barely slept in over 48 hours.  Phoebe woke with me around 3 and we went to play in the living room.  She was all smiles again without all the chaos. 

I miss Micki!  But I had to call her late at night because, what we had been frantically asking each other for the past 2 weeks, countless times per day, needed to be asked one more time. 
"Do you have my passport???!!!???"

Today begins the first day of our life all together.....finally!!!!!





8 comments:

  1. Woohoo!!!!! Congratulations! What a wonderful moment. I will be thinking of you this week during the transition back and with all of the celebrations and mourning for your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may be raining outside but there is sunshine in your house. Welcome home !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I started tearing up as I read this last post. I am so happy for all of you! And I am sad to hear of your grandmother's passing. I'm glad you go to talk to her over the internet at least. Good luck in the coming weeks as you adjust to life with Phoebe and life without Mother. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home and thank you for sharing your journey. Enjoy your new adventure. Mary Riley

    ReplyDelete
  5. welcome home, loved following you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your amazing journey to bring Phoebe home. I am so sorry for the loss of your Grandmother. I am keeping you all in my prayers as you begin a new life and reconcile the loss you've suffered at the same time. Looking forward to see your whole family together in future posts. Congrats, you're finally done with this crazy adoption ride!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phoebe is absolutely Beautiful! So happy that you are back home with your family. Hopefully you will keep blogging to share how she is adjusting with the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete