Saturday, May 12, 2012

Day 1





Micki and I set off for Beijing after a 7 hour layover in Chicago.  Our flight was great, but very long.  Micki slept almost the entire time while I watched her snore.



Our first Chinese meal (on the plane)

Beijing airport




We landed in Beijing after a 13.5 hour flight.  We breezed through customs, while the guards ignored us and looked bored and our guide was waiting for us on the other side.  We checked into our hotel and Micki promptly went to sleep.  I spent the rest of the night wide awake, listening to her snore.

Today was one of the most amazing days of our lives.  We spent the day with our guide touring Beijing. 
Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City












^^^ our guide, Michael.  Biggest fear of the day.....losing sight of that green flag.



















We had an hour drive to the Great Wall and during the trip Michael, our guide, gave us what I have been waiting for for so long....omy original Travel Approval, stating "In accordance with the Adoption Law of the People's Republic of China, we agreed that Yue Li Qiao be placed with you for adoption". 


We had a wonderful lunch with our travel group...


 ...visited the Jade Factory where I bought Phoebe's first gift in China:  a jade rabbit for her year of birth...





 ...and then headed to the Great Wall of China.  The weather was perfect and Micki and I were determined to climb to the highest point that could be reached by tourists.  We made it!























Our hotel:  Poly Plaza Beijing


After returning to our hotel we wandered around Beijing and found some dinner and we are turning in early tonight.  Actually, surprise, surprise, Micki is in bed snoring behind me as I type this.  We are leaving Beijing tomorrow morning at 5:40am and flying to Nanchang, the province which Phoebe is from and meeting her at 4pm!  So excited!
















4 comments:

  1. That's wonderful. So happy for sweet Micki that she is getting past her jet lag status. So happy for you that our LORD is providing the paperwork we have been praying for. Congratulations! Waiting eagerly for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have given Micki the breathe right strips....Jeff and I enjoyed looking at your pictures. You were on a whirlwind trip of Beijing. I think you saw in a day what we saw in a week. It truly is an amazing city. Tomorrow is going to be even more amazing! Phoebe will meet her mom! She has no idea how in that moment her life will change forever (of course your life has been changing throughout this whole process). One thing my mom told me from the day I was adopted...you grew not in my heart but under it. It doesn't get more real than that. Giving birth is a miracle, but adopting is a BLESSING! (to so many people) Godspeed tomorrow in your travels and your meeting.
    Beulah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got to do a bit of sight-seeing while you were there. I loved the Great Wall! Isn't it a wonderful feeling of accomplishment when you make it to the "top"? I sometimes can't believe it did it 7 months pregnant with a 19 month old! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Micki wore matching clothes! So cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete