Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day 7

We spent the day packing up everything to leave Nanchang.  Still a task to stay under the 44 lb weight limit and now we both have porcelain to keep safe.  Michael called me down to his room and gave me Phoebe's Chinese passport that he had picked up earlier.  We will never use it again after this trip, but it is such a cool thing to have.  We left our hotel (sadly, that hotel was awesome) and took our last bus ride with our driver and Michael to the airport. 

Security was crazy again.  There is no messing with Chinese airport security guards.  I had Phoebe in the Ergo, a backpack and a rolling carryon.  All at once I had one man yanking on the Ergo trying to get it off of me while another was demanding that I remove my computer right then and another taking my passport and boarding pass.  They got Phoebe out and I got my computer out and we went through the scanner.  I then was wanded and so was Phoebe very thoroughly.  Once again they abruptly took her from me and began passing her around.  I was a wreck watching her, my backpack with my money and adoption paperwork and our passports.  She ended up in the arms of a young man who looked as though he had never held a baby and everyone was laughing at him.  I grabbed all of our stuff, took back Phoebe and got out of there.

As we walked towards our gate we heard over the speakers that our flight was delayed.  Evidently, due to rain, the plane had not even left  Guangzhou to come pick us up and take us back.  Michael told us we would be fine, and goodbye forever.  :(  He was headed back to Beijing and we would have a new guide in Guangzhou.  We waited a couple of hours before we finally boarded and left Nanchang.  The flight was stuffy again but Phoebe did fine.  It is incredible what a trooper she was.  Such a good girl in the airport, even after her bedtime, and then not a complaint on the plane. 

Our guide was not at the airport when we finally landed at 9pm, but had sent another woman to meet us.  We picked up our baggage and she took us to a waiting van which took us to our hotel.  We checked in to the China Marriot, another amazing hotel, and by the time we were in our room it was 10pm. 






Phoebe went to sleep immediately and Micki and I ordered room service and ate dinner in bed.  I spent a long time on the phone with Marriot tech service trying to connect my laptop and our iPhones to wifi, but we are finally up and running. 

Not an exciting day in China but we get to spend it with this cute little girl:













2 comments:

  1. That smile can make any tough day end great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a different experience you are having with the Chinese airport security! So, is Michael from Beijing? That would make sense as to why he does not like his food spicy!

    ReplyDelete