Sunday, May 13, 2012

Day 2

The day began very early!  We had to meet to leave for the airport at 5:30am in the lobby of our hotel in Beijing.  Our flight was scheduled to leave for Nanchang at 7:30.  We were so excited to go to the province that Phoebe lived in for the past 10 months.  The airport was crazy!  Crowded and chaotic.  People were very pushy and in a rush.  Security was tight and loud.  I was asked by a security agent if I was carrying any water and honestly said "No".  She then pulled a bottle of water from a hidden side pocket of my backpack and said "Then what is this????" and threw my backpack back to be searched.  Oops.  Micki was patted down many times, but we finally made it through.

Our flight was called to board and we were shoved along to a door outside and eventually separated and Micki got herded onto a bus and took off without me!  I was shoved towards another, which did not leave for a long time.  It was very packed and I stood squeezed in forever worried I had lost my friend for life.  It took us to the plane and Micki about passed out with relief as she saw me board and head to the seat next to her.  We sat on the runway for another hour as the plane got hotter and smellier before finally taking off.

We landed in Nanchang at 10:30am and were taken to the Crowne Plaza Riverside hotel which is AMAZING!!!!  So beautiful.  We are so happy to be living in such a luxurious place for the next week here. 













The neighborhood outside our window is a stark contrast to the extravagance and comfort inside this hotel. 












We went to the cafe for lunch and then returned to our hotel room to wait for 4:00 and Phoebe.

All ready with Travel Approval and passport.  Very nervous.
 Not Micki, she was completely calm and excited.

 Peeking to see if they are out there.  We kept hearing noises in the hall.

They are here. 



The doorbell rang at 4:30 and I opened it to my beautiful daughter! 

Waiting as they check my TA and passport

She was accompanied by the  assistant director of her orphanage and another man who worked there.  Our guide, Michael, came along to translate.  After a few minutes of smiling at each other the orphanage  assistant director told Phoebe, "Qiao Qiao, Ma Ma!!!!" and pointed to me.  She then handed her to me.  We just looked at each other.



  Michael translated what they were telling me about her schedule and they looked over my passport and Travel Approval and then prepared to leave.  I handed them some gifts that I had prepared and they said goodbye to Phoebe.  The kissed her and tickled her and made her giggle.  They obviously loved her very much.  They gave me the toys that we had sent her, a photo album they had made and the disposable and full camera that I had mailed.  The orphanage director placed a silver charm of a rabbit for 2011, her year of birth, year of the rabbit, on a red thread around her neck and teared up as she began to walk away.  I then remembered some bottles of lotions that I had brought for the nannies.  They had requested some from me when an online friend had visited Phoebe's orphanage the week before.  She told them I was coming next week and they asked her to please bring more bottles of the hand lotion I had sent to them in a care package in March.  She was so excited by these bottles and looked at the label and thanked me over and over, "xie xie!!!! xie xie!!!!"  They finally said goodbye again and left.  I thanked them so much as they walked out.  I am so grateful to them for the obvious care and love she has been given.


 First look into each other's eyes

Michael showing me her finding ad in the newpaper which ran for 2 weeks. 

The Assistant Director placing a rabbit charm on a red thread around her neck

 Trying to make her giggle with kisses before leaving her

Goodbye :(

Phoebe began to cry after a few minutes and did not stop for an hour.  So sad to have her people gone.  Big sad tears.  She would look at us quietly for a second or two, but if we looked at her, sobbing began again.  She was terrified of my blond hair.  She was so stiff and scared.  And then she stopped and has done nothing but giggle and smile and play and love us the rest of the night.  She happily took a bottle and we dressed her in pajamas and at 8pm she began to close her eyes.  We lay her in her crib and she sucked her thumb and went to sleep for the next 10 hours. 

I am so in love.  So is Micki.  Little Qiao Qiao is wonderful. 



What an amazing, life changing, never to be forgotten, precious day.

We ordered room service (we were in need of some non-Chinese food terribly!) and relaxed, finally, for the rest of the night.


















2 comments:

  1. Awe...she is pretty! Sorry you had to go through such a rough experience getting there. But so happy you and Micki are safe and with Pheobe now. She really is precious :) ~ Stasy

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful!

    There is absolutely no messing with Chinese security in airports! Glad you made it safely.

    ReplyDelete